1. How many patent offices are there in India and where are they located?
There are four patent offices in India located in Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Mumbai.
2. Where can an application for a patent be filed in India?
An application for a patent can be filed before the patent office having appropriate jurisdiction, which is decided as follows:
a) The place of residence, domicile or business of the applicant (the first mentioned applicant, in case of joint applicants) or,
b) The place from where an invention actually originated or,
c) For foreign applicants: The address for service in India given by the applicant, or the address of the patent agent on record.
3. Does one get to choose the patent office for examining a patent application?
Once an application for a patent is filed, it is allocated to a patent office based on a centralized system of allocation. Therefore, it is not possible to choose a particular patent office for examination.
4. Can a patent application be transferred from one Patent Office to another?
No, once an application has been filed at a patent office, it cannot be transferred to another patent office.
5. Is it required to change the Patent Office if there is a change in address of Applicant of Agent to another jurisdiction during the pendency of the patent application?
No, it is not required to change the Patent Office if there is a change in address of Applicant of Agent to another jurisdiction during the pendency of the patent application?